The Elephant in the Room: Telework Interests
A number of SEC union members have asked the union about our positions on telework during our negotiations with Chair Gensler’s management negotiating team over a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) during the summer. NTEU Chapter 293 does not typically take positions during bargaining, but instead seeks to identify the important interests of both parties in an effort to narrow areas of disagreement. In keeping with that strategy, late last spring the union’s CBA negotiating team made the following PowerPoint presentation to SEC management regarding important interests related to telework at the agency:
Click Here to Review the Union’s CBA Telework Presentation to Management
We thought that SEC employees might find this presentation to be interesting. The sections contained in this opening presentation on telework include:
- The Union’s Primary Interest Is Linking In-Office Work to Specific Needs for In-Person Meetings
- Management Has Sufficient Rights
- Increasing Telework Will Increase Employee Satisfaction
- Increasing Telework Will Help the SEC Attract and Retain the Best and the Brightest
- Increasing Telework Will Promote a Diverse Workforce
- Increasing Telework Will Decrease the Agency’s Lease Footprint
- Increasing Telework Will Increase the SEC’s Geographic Coverage
- Increasing Telework Will Decrease Our Carbon Footprint
- Increasing Telework Will Save Gas
Tellingly, over the course of the summer, Chair Gensler’s management CBA team really did not dispute any of these points.
What can you do to help the union as mediation over SEC telework policy commences at the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service this month?
- If you have not already done so, please remember to take the union’s brief telework survey (the survey will remain open until Friday, September 23): Click Here to Take the Telework Survey
- If you are not already one of the 75% of SEC non-management staffers who are members of the union, please consider joining the union to lend your support to the union’s important work on your behalf: Click Here for a Membership Form.